January 7th marks the start of a new round of A Round of Words in 80 Days, “the writing challenge that knows you have a life.” For those of you looking for more information about the challenge, you can find it here.
I’m waving a wildly enthusiastic hello to all my old ROW80 friends, and offering the warmest of welcomes to all the new folks joining in on this round. This community is one of the most supportive and welcoming that I’ve found online, and is one of the reasons that I’m participating in my 7th (!!!!) round.
For anyone who may have missed my first post of the year, I’ve declared that 2013 will be my year to “stop the cray.” I’m pulling the plug on negative thinking, nasty energy, and all the habits that cause me to sabotage my own success.
To aid me on this journey, I’m blasting my anthem song for the year, “Strength, Courage, and Wisdom,” by India.Arie. As she sings,
It’s time to step out on faith, I’ve gotta show my face
It’s been elusive for so long but freedom is mine today
I’ve gotta step out on faith, it’s time to show my face
Procrastination had me down but look what I have found
With a little strength, courage, and wisdom in my life, I’m launching myself towards two giant goals for the year: (1) completing (at least) one novel and (2) finishing the first draft of my dissertation.
I won’t lie. Just typing those giant goals makes me want to do this:
But if there’s anything I’ve learned with ROW80, it’s that identifying small, achievable goals goes a long way to helping me conquer seemingly insurmountable tasks. With that in mind, here are my overall goals for Round 1:
- Finish dissertation proposal and have quarterly meeting with committee
- Complete preliminary archival research at 4 out of 6 locations
- Continue to write rough sketches of research memos based on collected data
- Write 2-3 poems each week
- Revisit TELL ME NO LIES and THE PEACOCK QUEEN; identify what needs to be tweaked/fixed/written in order to finish first drafts
- Figure out Ultimate Editing Battle Plan (and which novel I feel like hanging out with–or if the answer to this question is “both”)
- Write 1 ROW80 check-in post each Sunday, along with 2 non-ROW80 posts each week
- Respond to all blog comments
- Use weekends for catching up with Google Reader, Twitter, and Facebook
- Visit 10 blogs each week to read, comment, and promote posts
- Journal daily
- Read 1 novel each week
- Unplug when necessary
So there you have it, folks! Is everyone feeling rested and ready to go? Anything special y’all are looking forward to this year?
Tell me all about it in the comments, and be sure to swing by and wave hello to everyone else participating this round.