ROW80: A Bloggy Birthday

Happy Sunday, ROWers! This weekend is a special one, as I’m celebrating my blog’s first birthday. I’m actually a week late — my very first post, a ROW80 check-in, was posted on May 15th — but better late than never, right?

In celebration, I’m bringing out Party Sloth…

…and you know that festivities would be incomplete without Hugh…

For fun, I thought I’d make a mini-vlog, just to wave and say hello. It’s nothing fancy, but I wanted a chance to thank all of you in “person.” Without this amazing, wonderful, phenomenal community, I think I would’ve abandoned both the blogging experiment and my writing attempts ages ago. :D

I missed last week’s check-in due to grading, but here’s how things are going so far:

Day Job: The stack of midterms is never-ending, the reading is never-ending, the homework is never-ending. The quarter ends in three weeks, and till then, I will be furiously working my buns off to get things done. My brain is buzzing, I’m learning a ton, and I really am having fun… I just wish the pressure would ease off just a teeny bit. But grading will be done on Tuesday, and I’ll have a couple of weeks to take care of my work before it’s time to tackle the students’ final papers.

Writing: Okay, so, the week before last was my awesome writing week. The plot for STRANGE BEDFELLOWS dropped into my lap, completely unbidden, and I wrote about 4500 words between all 3 of my projects. Not much has happened this week, though, but I did raid the university library for books on 19th century San Francisco as part of my research for TELL ME NO LIES. Now, er, I just have to find time to read them. :P

Exercise: I’ve been a little under the weather for the last few days, so I scaled back to a couple of short workouts instead of the usual 4 mile walk. But altogether I had 4 days of activity, which is pretty good.

Social Media: Ugh, a total bust. I’ve been unplugged for the last week because I can’t concentrate on grading otherwise. Operation KEEP TRYING is in progress.

Here’s what I’ve been reading and watching this week:

I finally got around to reading, CONSPIRACY, the fourth book in Lindsay Buroker‘s phenomenal EMPEROR’S EDGE series. The EE series is a blend of steampunk and fantasy, and features an unlikely band of outlaws striving to evade the law and do enough good deeds for the emperor to clear their names. Like the previous three, CONSPIRACY is a ton of fun — lots of tension, lots of action, lots of humor, and a great plot.

As far as movies go, I finished the last two episodes of the Zen miniseries, and I think it’s an absolute crime that it was cancelled after only one season (seriously, y’all, it’s soooo sad). I also caught The Raven, which I enjoyed, though not as much as other creepy period pieces, like Perfume or The Prestige. Next up is the miniseries Case Histories, starring Jason Isaacs, which I’ve been dying to watch.

…And with that, I am crawling back into my reading/grading/working cave. Hope you’ve all had an awesome week!

Enhanced by Zemanta

34 comments

• Lena Corazon says:

Shah, thanks so much! It’s a little ridiculous how even a 1 minute clip takes SO much energy to put together, but I’m glad you liked. I definitely agree that it brings people closer.

Have a wonderful week!

1. Juliana Haygert says:

Happy Birthday Blog! Love sloths and LOVE Hugh!
    You’ve been doing so much at work and school, and still you got a pretty word count under your belt. Nice!
    And nice workout too!
    I wish I could just unplug from the internet a little. I so wanted to, but I’m internet crazy …
    Have another great week!
    Juliana Haygert recently posted..#ROW80 and NTS Check-in 05/20My Profile

• Lena Corazon says:

Ack, internet addiction! I totally know the problem. It’s SO hard to unplug at first, but after a while, it gets a little easier. Of course, I’ve got a smartphone, so I get my internet “fix” that way. :P

Thanks so much for the bloggy birthday love, my friend. Have a great week!

2. Nadja Notariani says:

Love your vlog, Lena! Happy Bloggy Birthday. It’s been so great to follow. You’ve gained encouragement and support from all of us, but you’ve given so much, too! You’re a beautiful woman, smart, well-spoken, and a wonderful writer. I know we’ll see great things from you!
    Your Friend, Nadja
    Nadja Notariani recently posted..Researching For Romance ~ A New SeriesMy Profile

• Lena Corazon says:

Aww, Nadja, thank you so much! I really do appreciate it. I feel like I’ve grown so much in the last year, and it’s wonderful to know that I’ve managed to give a little in return for all I’ve received. :D

Have a wonderful week!

• Lena Corazon says:

Haha, glad to know I’m not the only one who missed the birthday! There seems to be a spate of blog birthdays going around, which has been really exciting. :D

Have a lovely week as well, Jennette!

• Lena Corazon says:

Haha, I’ll admit, I recorded that vlog before I went completely crazy with grading — there wasn’t so much smiling for the last couple of days! But now that midterms are behind me, I can be a little more cheery.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Lena Corazon says:

I’m studying sociology right now, with a focus on feminist studies and sociology of culture. Lots of good stuff, really exciting, but soooo much reading. :P

Thanks so much for stopping by, Janet!

3. Raelyn Barclay says:

Fabulous vlog! [You sound a bit like the actress that plays Angela on Bones :) ] So great to ‘meet’ you. Happy blogoversary.

You’re doing great Lena. You have a lot on your plate. Keep up the good work! Wishing you luck with the upcoming week.
    Raelyn Barclay recently posted..Sunday Summary & #ROW80My Profile

• Lena Corazon says:

Ooooh, do I really? I still haven’t gotten around to watching Bones. One of these days, when I clear out my Netflix queue.

Hope you have a great week as well, Raelyn! Thanks a lot for swinging by. :D

4. Em says:

Oh my goodness! I love love love that Vlog…..so nice to hear your voice! I thought had been blogging alot longer than me…maybe because you are so good at it! My blog birthday is mid-June but you know I won’t be showing my face! Love the nose ring by the way :)

Great job on writing, researching and even thinking about writing with all your other projects and commitments. Inspiring my lovely, inspiring :) Have a great week.
    Em recently posted..Row80 Check-in 20th May 2012My Profile

• Lena Corazon says:

Awww, you are so sweet! I love that we totally got started around the same time, and you have totally grown as a blogger in the last year! Can’t wait till we can celebrate your blog’s birthday!

5. Karen McFarland says:

Happy Blogoversary Lena!!!!

So glad you remembered! Better late than never! Then we would’ve worried! lol

Thank you for the vlog! You are one gorgeous, smart woman Lena! We’re all prouod of what you’ve achieved and are with you 100% of the way through the next year and onward! I wish you all the best!

Great picture of Hugh by the way! :)

• Lena Corazon says:

Karen, you are absolutely wonderful! Meeting you and all of our other WANA crew has been one of the highlights of my year. :D

And I’m soooo glad you like the picture of Hugh. Among my friends, it’s known as his “manwhore” pose, hahaha.

Have a wonderful week!

6. Lauralynn Elliott says:

Happy Birthday to you blog! You are such a busy woman, I don’t see how you get so much done!

And thank you, thank you for the pic of Hugh. We can’t get enough of that lovely man. :)

I loved your video. You’re a beautiful lady!
    Lauralynn Elliott recently posted..Sunday Stuff 5/20/12My Profile

• Lena Corazon says:

Thanks for the wonderful birthday wishes, Lauralynn! And I’m so glad you enjoyed that pic of Hugh. I like to think that I am doing a civic duty by sharing them. :D

7. Lynnette Conroy says:

Happy Bloggy Birthday! I love the “operation keep trying” thing – so many people throw that Yoda quote around,”do or do not, there is no try” and it drives me bonkers. Nothing gets done if you don’t try. Being willing to keep it up when it DOESN’T go well is more important than success or failure. You have a lot on your plate and you seem to be managing it beautifully. Keep it up!

And I love party sloth!

8. Eden Mabee says:

Lena, you have an AMAZING voice. (I used to do a lot of singing, and voices are something that stand out to me.)

As for putting up with your passions… I guess I never noticed it as “putting up” because they just “fit”. They’re part of you as a person, along with discussions of grades/school, great #wordsprints and writing. As far as I’m concerned, it’s all good. And this was sweet.

Happy (belated) Bloggy Birthday! ♥
    Eden Mabee recently posted..My Day? Mabee not…My Profile

9. Tameri Etherton says:

Happy Bloggy Birthday! I look forward to many, many, many more years of your fabulous blogs!

Dang, you are gorgeous! And you have a super sexy, pretty voice too! Is that weird that I think your voice is sexy? Oh, well. ;)

Love the pic of Hugh! A party sloth… only you would bring out the party sloth. Congrats again on one year.
    Tameri Etherton recently posted..Slacklining Isn’t Just For Adventure SeekersMy Profile

10. Lauren Garafalo says:

Happy Belated BLOG BIRTHDAY!! Loved your video :) I can’t believe how much you’ve accomplished in just a year. You should be so proud of yourself!! I think I missed my blog’s birthday lol, so I’ll have to celebrate a bloggity unbirthday some time soon. So much love for another year of madness….I mean…fantabulousness here at Flights of Fancy.