Welcome back, ROWers! Round 2 of ROW80 is about to begin. Are your engines revved and ready to go?
For my friends and readers not in-the-know, ROW80 stands for A Round of Words in 80 Days, the “writing challenge that knows you have a life.” Better yet, it is comprised of a community of amazing writers who are some of the most supportive, hilarious, and creative folks that you’ll ever find, online or off.
I’m kicking off ROW80 with what is potentially the most amazing trifecta of awesomeness ever: my new goals for this round, details for our ROW80 party coming up on APRIL 4th, and some drinky-fun to get you in the mood.
First up: The Goals. I’m keeping it short and simple this time around.
1. Day Job: Refine my dissertation topic, and try to write 1000-1500 each week. This writing can take any form, including brainstorms, reading notes, and dissertation proposal drafts.
2. Writing: Finish TELL ME NO LIES, and try to write an average of 500 words each day.
3. Exercise: Work out 4-5 days each week, and continue to whittle down my sugar intake.
4. Social Media: Blog twice a week, and comment on at least 10 blogs each week.
And now, what you’ve been waiting for: the 411 on the upcoming ROW80 party! Even the Party Sloth is ready to rock.
- Theme: “Throwback Party”
Oh yes, we are going WAY back. This party is a celebration of generations, music, and fashions. We want you to come on Wednesday ready to kick it like you used to “back in the day.” All outfits are welcome, Lena’s stirring up some munchies and beverages to last all night, and DJ Barbara will be spinning tunes for all decades.
- Date: April 4, 12:01 AM to 11:59 PM EST in the U.S.
This will also be the first day of Round Two check-in so there should be a bevy of ROW80 peeps and friends wandering around the blogosphere.
- Party will be held at the #ROW80 hashtag.
Include that in your Tweet and join in!
- Blog with Photos Competition:
From April 2 to April 8, we want you to keep the party going and post some “Throwback Party” ROW80 celebrations. Just make sure to include some pics in the post that reflect the theme and let your party monster rage. Whatever you want to do to work this into your post, go for it. We trust you are a creative bunch. Then, we’ll review them and decide on the best to spotlight in a post.
To enter the blog competition:
- Create a blog that reflects the “Throwback Party” theme.
- Creativity is a plus as are great pictures. We know there are some folks holding a treasure of pics showing them in their glory with bell bottom, platform shoes, biker, poodle skirts, and tie-dyed ponchos.
- Lena and I will look at the comments on our ROW80 blogs for recommendations of top picks as well as review them all for inclusion of top picks/faves in a mashup and for your vote.
- To enter the blog competition, click here (Link forthcoming).
My co-host, Barbara McDowell, is throwing down the jams to get you in the mood. I’ve got the drinks you’ll need to have you dancing on the tabletops with a lampshade on your head in no time. I LOVE vintage cocktails, so here are a few recipes to get you into that period mood.
Zagat has a great blog revisiting some of the cheesiest cocktails of the 1980s, but my favorite might have to be the Slippery Nipple (tee-hee). This new twist on the Sex on the Beach (what were people thinking when they named drinks in the 1980s?) also looks divine.
Gourmet has rounded up their favorite drinks from 1941-2009, and this selection from the 1970s is nothing short of fantastic. Their recipe for a Gin and Grapefruit Cocktail looks unbelievably refreshing.
These days, the 1960s has become synonymous with AMC’s hit show, Mad Men. Throw on your favorite 60s garb and take a swig of one of these drinks from the Mad Men cocktail guide. My personal favorite? The Blue Hawaiian — just look at that color!
So go wild and crazy! Throw on your snazziest clothes, spin some party tunes, pour yourself a drink, and get thee to the ROW80 party this coming Wednesday. And don’t forget to enter the blog contest — we can’t wait to see what you all come up with!